Only 5-6% of professional pilots in the UK and worldwide are women. The percentages in general aviation are similar. Much of this is due to lack of information and opportunity. One of our key aims as an organisation is ‘to promote the training and employment of women in aviation, and the promotion of practical schemes to assist women to gain air licences.’ For this reason, a proportion of our membership fees is used to fund scholarships. In addition, we actively work with partner organisations to extend what we are able to offer, and so help to raise awareness and aspirations.
Applications are now open for our 2022 scholarships. The BWPA is an inclusive organisation; we welcome applications from any woman.
This year we have 23 scholarships on offer, worth over £45,000:
- Five BWPA Flying Start Scholarships, one sponsored by SkyDemon
For new pilots to gain their first qualifications.
- Four BWPA Flying High Scholarships, one sponsored by SkyDemon
For licensed pilots who wish to gain further qualifications.
- One BWPA Oriana Pepper Scholarship
To be awarded to a Flying Start or Flying High candidate who aspires to become a commercial pilot.
- Two BWPA Easy PPL Ground School Scholarships
Each for a Private Pilot Licence (A) ground school course.
- One BWPA 624squadron.com Scholarship
For a female aviation enthusiast for her own special mission and flying adventure, donated in proud memory of 624 (Special Duties) Squadron Royal Air Force.
- One BWPA CATS Scholarship
For a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) or Airline Transport Pilot Licence ATPL (A) or (H) distance learning theory course.
- One BWPA CATS Full Time Scholarship
For a taught ATPL (A) distance learning theory course.
- Two BWPA Bristol Groundschool Scholarships
Each for half the value of an ATPL (A) or (H) distance learning theory course.
- Three BWPA Flight Deck Wingman Scholarships
Each for an Airline Assessment Preparation Course.
- One BWPA Wings Alliance Scholarship
For an Airline Pilot Assessment.
- Two BWPA Helicentre Aviation Scholarships
Each to subsidise the cost of an integrated CPL (H).
Make sure to check out our scholarship terms and conditions before applying to ensure you are eligible. Wishing all our applicants the best of luck! For inspiration read about our 2021 winners and how they have been using their scholarships.