The BWPA retains an archive that has been developed since the Association’s formation in 1955. It is a reference-only resource; access and requests for information are arranged through the Archivist. An accession list (holding record) is available to BWPA Members on request to aid personal research.
The archive’s objective is to retain key BWPA records, including:
• Association (and BWPA Ltd) governance and meeting paperwork
• Archived membership records
• Newsletters and other information of interest to BWPA members and supporters
This is achieved via an agreed collection plan, to avoid working outside the BWPA aims or the duplication of other archives and collections.
The archive also includes associated items, including:
• The BWPA’s library, which incorporates books about British women in all aspects of aviation
• Publications and articles about British women involved in all aspects of flying
• Members’ donated personal records, photographs and memorabilia
Use of and access to personal records will be agreed on deposit. Material will be handled in accordance with current best practice and in a GDPR-compliant manner.
All requests should be submitted via the Request for Information form, defining the scope and final use of the information. All BWPA archive input must be appropriately acknowledged in any subsequent published work.